When the town expanded beyond the limits of the Old Fortress, there was an imperative need for its protection, which could not be ensured by the Old Fortress. Therefore, the Venetians started building on the hill of Aghios Markos the New Fortress. Its construction began in 1576 and was completed in 1645. This Fortress and the fortresses surrounding it were the most strategic position of d=the defenders of the Town of Corfu during the siege of Turks in 1716. Parts of the walls were destroyed by the English, during the period that they departed from the island. Its Gate is decorated with a relief Lion of Saint Markos, the emblem of Venice. There are two English barracks, one nest to the Gate and the other on the second level, at the centre of the acropolis, and there is also a temple, possibly of the 17th century, the temple of Panaghia Spilaiotissa. Nowadays, in the area of the New Fortress there is the Hellenic Navy Station, while occasionally exhibitions of photography and painting are hosted, as well as other artistic events.